Ants are small, hard-bodied insects that can be found all over the world. While they may be small, they can cause a lot of damage if they are left untreated. Ants can contaminate food, damage furniture, and cause health problems. This article will discuss the different types of ants that can invade your Austin, TX home, how to identify them, and how to get rid of them.
What type of ants is in my home?
Many types of ants can invade your home, but the most common are carpenter ants, sugar ants, and pavement ants. Carpenter ants are the largest of the three, and they can seriously damage your home by boring into the wood. Another type of ant that can invade your home is the Pharaoh ant, also known as the sugar ant. These black, tiny ants are attracted to sweets and are often found in areas where food is stored. They can contaminate food and spread disease. Finally, pavement ants are brown and minuscule, and they live in the cracks in the pavement. If you’re not sure what type of ant is in your home, you can try to identify it by its size, color, and behavior. If you’re still not sure what type of ant it is, or if you want to get rid of them, you can call a professional pest control company.
How do I know if I have an ant infestation?
If you think you might have an ant infestation, starting treatment as soon as possible is essential. Here are a few signs to look for.
- You see live ants in your home.
- Trails of ants are seen going to or from your house.
- There are ant hills in your yard or around your home.
- The wood in or around your house sounds hollow or crumbles easily.
- There are dead ant bodies in your house.
What can I do to prevent ants in my home?
You can do various things to prevent ants from entering your home in the first place. The most important thing is to keep your home clean and free of food and water sources for the ants. Another crucial step is to close off any cracks or openings in your home’s exterior. Make sure that all your doors and windows fit tightly, and use caulk to seal any gaps. If you have an ant problem, you can also use a pest control spray or bait to get rid of the ants. You should also keep your yard clean and free of debris, as ants often use these piles as a food source.
How can I get rid of ants?
If you’re dealing with an ant infestation, there are some things you can do to get rid of these troublesome critters.
- Vacuum up the ants and their nests.
- Put down a layer of diatomaceous earth, which will kill the ants.
- Make an ant bait by mixing one cup of sugar, one cup of water, and two tablespoons of borax in the container. Place the bait near where you have seen the ants crawling. They will be drawn to the sweet smell and take the bait back to their nest. The borax will kill the ants once they eat it.
- Contact a professional exterminator. This is the best way to ensure the ants are taken care of at the source and do not return.
If you see a few scout ants in your Austin, Texas, home, they will likely invite their friends to set up residence in your house, and none of these are welcome guests! To eliminate them quickly and easily, your best bet is to call in professionals. Don’t just learn to live with ants; contact DM Pest Control today.